General Maintenance Staff
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Director of General Maintenance and Cleaning for performing general maintenance work to include carpentry, electrical, plumbing, snow removal and other cleaning/repairs. Incumbents may work with students, team members, college employees and guests of the college, treating all with respect. Work may be performed in multiple assigned buildings.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform basic plumbing work. Although not inclusive, this includes repair of flush valves, traps, faucets, etc.
- Perform basic electrical work. Although not inclusive, this includes changing outlets, switches, lights, ballasts, etc.
- Perform basic carpentry work. Although not inclusive, this includes repair of furniture, replacing floor tiles, minor wall repair, etc.
- Monitor and perform basic repairs of building climate controls for boilers, fan coils, HVAC units, hot water heaters, chillers, pumps, air compressors, etc.
- If applicable, operate, repair and maintain building specific equipment (e.g. variable voltage power units, gas valves, lab top benches, ice machines, etc)
- Repair washers, dryers, screens, blinds, vacuum cleaners and windows.
- Check fire alarm, emergency lights and fire panels. Investigate and report roof leaks.
- Clean outside areas directly around buildings and remove snow and ice.
- Remove trash and recycling from designated receptacles.
- Perform floor restoration duties as scheduled.
- Perform duties related to event setups and teardowns as needed, which includes moving furniture.
- Effectively utilize the work order system and respond to assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with trades staff on assigned tasks.
- In collaboration with the Director, provide training and supervision to assigned students. Utilizing the procedures outlined for student employees, assist in creating a positive work experience for student employees.
- Fill in for cleaning staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Work collaboratively when requested to respond to needs on campus.
Definite objectives are set up for the employee by the supervisor, requiring the use of a wide range of standard procedures. Work schedules and priorities are planned with input from the supervisor.
- Basic oral, written and math skills
- Ability to read diagrams, gauges, other basic instruments, and schematics
- One year or more prior related experience
- Knowledge equivalent to 1-3 years applied trades training
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work with arms above shoulder height
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Type of Employment: Full-Time