General Maintenance Staff
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Director for renovating and maintaining Wartburg College facilities through application of paint, stain, varnish and other finishes for decoration and protection of interior and exterior surfaces, equipment and furniture as well as performing general maintenance work to include light carpentry, electrical, plumbing, snow removal and other cleaning/repairs. Incumbents may work with students, team members, college employees and guests of the college, treating all with respect. Work may be performed in multiple assigned buildings.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform minor wall repairs as needed, prepare surfaces for finishes and apply appropriate paint, varnish, etc. in the correct manner.
- With the supervisor, coordinate color choices for buildings.
- Perform basic plumbing and electrical work.
- After receiving general instructions from supervisor, prepare job plan, order appropriate materials, and coordinate scheduling with general maintenance staff or cleaning staff.
- Maintain an acceptable inventory of supplies and equipment needed to complete assignments.
- Clean outside areas directly around buildings and remove snow and ice.
- Remove trash and recycling from designated receptacles.
- Perform floor restoration duties as scheduled.
- Perform duties related to event setups and teardowns as needed, which includes moving furniture.
- Effectively utilize the work order system and respond to assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with cleaning, general maintenance, and trades staff on assigned tasks.
- In collaboration with the Director, provide training and supervision to assigned students. Utilizing the procedures outlined for student employees, assist in creating a positive work experience for student employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Work collaboratively when requested to respond to needs on campus.
Definite objectives are set up for the employee by the supervisor, requiring the use of a wide range of standard procedures. Work schedules and priorities are planned with input from the supervisor.
- Basic oral, written and math skills.
- Ability to read diagrams, gauges, other basic instruments, and schematics.
- One year or more prior related experience.
- Knowledge equivalent to 1-3 years applied trades training.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work with arms above shoulder height.
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Type of Employment: Full-Time