General Maintenance Staff
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Director of General Maintenance and Cleaning for performing general maintenance work to include carpentry, electrical, plumbing, snow removal and other cleaning/repairs. Incumbents may work with students, team members, college employees and guests of the college, treating all with respect. Work may be performed in multiple assigned buildings.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Perform basic plumbing work. Although not inclusive, this includes repair of flush valves, traps, faucets, etc.
2) Perform basic electrical work. Although not inclusive, this includes changing outlets, switches, lights, ballasts, etc.
3) Perform basic carpentry work. Although not inclusive, this includes repair of furniture, replacing floor tiles, minor wall repair, etc.
4) Monitor and perform basic repairs of building climate controls for boilers, fan coils, HVAC units, hot water heaters, chillers, pumps, air compressors, etc.
5) If applicable, operate, repair and maintain building specific equipment (e.g. variable voltage power units, gas valves, lab top benches, ice machines, etc)
6) Repair washers, dryers, screens, blinds, vacuum cleaners and windows.
7) Check fire alarm, emergency lights and fire panels. Investigate and report roof leaks.
8) Clean outside areas directly around buildings and remove snow and ice.
9) Remove trash and recycling from designated receptacles.
10) Perform floor restoration duties as scheduled.
11) Perform duties related to event setups and teardowns as needed, which includes moving furniture.
12) Effectively utilize the work order system and respond to assigned tasks in a timely manner.
13) Work collaboratively with trades staff on assigned tasks.
14) In collaboration with the Director, provide training and supervision to assigned students. Utilizing the procedures outlined for student employees, assist in creating a positive work experience for student employees.
15) Fill in for cleaning staff as needed.
16) Perform other duties as assigned. Work collaboratively when requested to respond to needs on campus.
Definite objectives are set up for the employee by the supervisor, requiring the use of a wide range of standard procedures. Work schedules and priorities are planned with input from the supervisor.
• Basic oral, written and math skills
• Ability to read diagrams, gauges, other basic instruments, and schematics
• One year or more prior related experience
• Knowledge equivalent to 1-3 years applied trades training
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
• Ability to work with arms above shoulder height
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting