This position requires the valuable—if, perhaps, rare—multi-disciplinary combination of design and development skills. You’ll work closely with a product owner and development team to create exceptional user experiences for web and mobile applications by first understanding our clients’ business and project goals as well as user needs. You’ll then use this knowledge and your skills to craft beautiful, intuitive application interfaces and effectively translate those designs into functional front-end code.
You’ll work on a wide variety of projects across a wide variety of industries, not on one product or a suite of products. We are consultants, paid to use our expertise to solve problems in a way that best suits each client’s goals and objectives.
We work in a fast-paced, agile/scrum environment to design and build solutions that solve our clients’ unique problems and help them capture exciting new opportunities and you’ll have the opportunity to see and hear directly from the people whose lives you’re impacting.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Drive the user experience of our applications from start to finish.
In this role, you will need to jump easily between designing and implementing layouts, using both your design aesthetics and technical know-how. Projects will typically start with you working with UX stakeholders in the business to gain deep understanding of customer needs and business goals. You’ll perform user research to collect valuable feedback and insights to drive product direction. From there, you’ll document and tell the story of the user experience up to and including high-fidelity designs and style guides, presenting appropriate deliverables to the client and the development team along the way. Finally, you’ll bring your designs to life, implementing the client-side code and working with back-end developers and QA testers to ensure the full experience meets acceptance criteria.
- Produce and maintain high-quality user interface designs and front-end code for a variety of projects.
Within the first 30 days, you’ll effectively contribute to projects using your expertise to ensure application UIs match design intentions, perform reliably and efficiently in all supported environments, and are consistent, robust, and scalable, collaborating with back-end developers as needed.
In addition to writing code, you’ll work closely with your agile project team(s) to understand project goals and requirements, and groom user stories. You’ll also provide estimates before beginning development, pair-program with other developers, and do code reviews.
- Effectively troubleshoot and resolve pesky UI render bugs, browser/device compatibility issues, and usability deficiencies.
You’re the UI expert and will be called upon to fix the layout problems that drive back-end developers to drink. In addition to resolving the issues, you’ll educate and mentor those back-end devs to help them avoid finding themselves in the same predicament in the future.
- Be the development team's user experience advocate (be its "voice of the user").
Throughout each project, you will ensure users' needs are considered and addressed appropriately. You will advocate for the user’s point of view and the value of user research, educating the team and our client along the way. Digging in to understand users’ goals and expectations will be critical as you work toward translating those needs into simple, feasible, user-friendly designs.
- Review existing systems for usability and performance and recommend and defend improvements.
Living up to our core value of Simplicity & Quality depends on each of us contributing to the ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the systems we develop. In this capacity, you’ll coordinate with product owners to proactively review our clients’ existing systems, identifying valuable opportunities to improve the usability and/or performance of the application. In doing so, you’ll articulate the value and ROI of the improvements and help the team and clients understand why the identified improvements should be addressed.
- Reduce client risk by carefully considering budget, scope, timeline, and ROI.
From the beginning, you’ll need to be cognizant of the client’s budget and the project scope and timeline, and you’ll need to focus on delivering the best ROI while working under these constraints. It will be important that you care about the details and delivering the best solution but not at the expense of the big picture. Being of the mind that delivering a quality MVP is better than waiting for perfection will serve you well. You’ll create and share low-fidelity mockups early on to ensure we have things right before spending the time and effort to craft high-fidelity designs. And reaching out for help when you need it instead of thrashing will benefit you, your project team, and our client in the long run.
- Effectively manage multiple priorities.
Though we try to limit the number of projects developers work on at any one time, inevitably, you will eventually need to juggle work between two or more projects concurrently within a given sprint. This will require exceptional communication and organizational skills and a focus on prioritizing your work in coordination with POs and the team.
- This role is ideal for someone who thrives on working at the intersection of design and development. You want full control, from understanding the users, to designing the best experience, to implementing that experience in a way that exceeds expectations.
- You love to make complex things seem simple.
- You are known as "the picky one".
- You have a portfolio of well-designed projects you love to share.
- You are curious and make it a point to stay up to date on current UX and design trends.
- At this stage in your career, you want to be asked to solve problems rather than be told what to do.
- You are passionate about your craft and are a motivated self-starter who is committed to continuous improvement.
- You communicate clearly, effectively, and consistently, both verbally and in written format.
- You are excited to join a small but growing team and contribute directly to our team’s and our clients’ success.
- You want to empower others to make a positive difference.
- Strong visual and user interface design skills
- Experience using the Adobe Suite and Figma or another UI design tool
- Experience working with the Twitter bootstrap framework
- Basic understanding of back-end programming languages and frameworks, e.g., C#/.Net
- Experience designing and developing applications that reside in Azure
- Experience with version control tools like GitHub
- Experience with Visual Studio
- Experience with Azure DevOps
- Basic understanding of SEO principles
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Experience working in an agency environment (as opposed to a SaaS/product environment)
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. US visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Far Reach is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, ancestry, marital or veteran status.
ABOUT FAR REACH
Far Reach is a boutique software development and consulting firm in Cedar Falls, IA. Using a people-first approach, we develop bespoke web and mobile solutions for clients eager to make a positive impact.
Our team creates value for businesses in a variety of industries including agriculture, manufacturing, professional services, banking/financial services, insurance, construction, real estate, and transportation.
We are proud to have earned the 2022 Best Place for Working Parents® business designation recognizing our commitment to family-friendly policies and practices.
- Generous health/dental insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Company-paid group term life insurance
- Company-paid long-term and short-term disability insurance
- Flexible Spending Plan
- Generous PTO
- Paid parental, bereavement, jury duty leave
- 8 paid holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- Casual work environment
- Remote work allowed
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting