Information and Data Specialist
Do you enjoy sharing your knowledge and expertise in the area of data and reporting? If so, join the Business and Community Education department at Hawkeye Community College and be at the forefront of transforming data into actionable insights that drive strategic decisions.
The Business and Community Education department is looking for a full-time Information and Data Specialist to join our team. In this role, you contribute to maintaining data integrity, conducting audits, and disseminating vital information while playing a pivotal part in our mission to empower individuals and strengthen communities.
We thrive on innovation and collaboration, offering a dynamic workspace where your role contributes to our mission of empowering individuals and strengthening communities. With a focus on enterprise applications and data-driven decision-making, your work will support educational programs and community partnerships, fostering an environment of growth and continuous learning. Be part of a team that is not just a department but a cornerstone of educational and community advancement.
Overall, the Information and Data Specialist position is responsible for the oversight of data integrity and analysis contained by a diverse portfolio of enterprise applications utilized within Business and Community Education. This position also produces program and financial intelligence by querying data repositories and generating reports while devising methods for identifying data patterns and trends in available information sources.
Hawkeye Community College is a comprehensive community college focused on meeting the needs of the community by providing quality, affordable learning experiences for a diverse student body through our Adult Learning Center, Business and Community Education Department as well as through more than 50 career and technical programs and liberal arts transfer programs. Hawkeye Community College’s mission is about empowering students, strengthening businesses and enriching communities with a vision to improve the quality of life in the communities we serve.
Essential Job Functions
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintains or updates business intelligence tools, databases, dashboards, enterprise applications, or methods to ensure data accuracy and integrity.
- Oversees the accuracy and security of data, through data integrity audits and implementing best practices for data management and compliance.
- Disseminates division information regarding tools, data, reports, or metadata enhancements.
- Manages the timely flow of business intelligence information internally and externally.
- Generates standard or custom reports summarizing business, financial, or economic data for review by internal and external stakeholders.
- Creates and maintains a library of model documents, templates, or other reusable knowledge and process assets.
- Documents specifications for business intelligence or information technology reports, dashboards, or other outputs.
- Provides technical support for existing data systems, reports, dashboards, or other data sharing tools.
- Communicates with customers, competitors, suppliers, professional organizations, or others to stay current on industry or business trends.
- Analyzes data recognizing pattern trends, relational, and referential integrity to ensure data validation is accurate and meets established standards.
- Understand program scope and objectives to contextualize data for projects and reports.
- Prioritizes and completes work accurately and meets deadlines
- Maintains professional attitude and demeanor at all times.
- Triages customer service and data requests.
- Participates in campus committees as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Unless otherwise approved under Hawkeye’s remote work policy, regular on-campus and/or onsite attendance is considered an essential function of the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Applications, Accounting or a related field and three (3) years of related work experience or a combination of related education, training, and work experience to total seven (7) years.
- Experience with enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems and applications, admission management systems, customer relationship management software (CRM) and data analysis software.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Excel as well as other Microsoft Office and Google Suite programs including video conferencing technology.
- Demonstrated ability to execute organization and department policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills with exceptional follow through and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential/sensitive information with discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to follow complex oral and written directions.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize projects and manage resources.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills to positively interact with faculty, staff and vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a culturally diverse student population, faculty, staff, and the general public.
- Experience with Lumens, Lumens Middleware Cloud, Colleague ERP and Salesforce.
- Knowledge of accounting rules and regulations including the Iowa Code and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Experience with process mapping and design software such as Scribe, Panopto, Microsoft Visio, etc.
- Experience using document management software such as File Director, etc.
- Experience with Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Canvas, WorkHands, Amatrol, NCCER, SACA, etc.
- Experience in post-secondary education environment.
Anticipated schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm with flexibility to work occasional night and/or weekend hours.
Work is performed either in or a combination of an office and/or classroom setting using technology. Requires good hand-eye coordination including visual acuity to use a keyboard and read technical information; arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp. Sit, stand, bend, lift and move frequently during working hours. During course of day, interact with students, faculty and staff in person, by telephone and computers.
Full-time, exempt position with comprehensive or competitive benefits program including health, dental, vision, life, and LTD insurance, a Section 125 plan for medical and dependent care expenses; holiday, personal, sick, and vacation leave; tuition reimbursement; and a choice of retirement programs—IPERS (defined benefit) or TIAA (defined contribution).
- Salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience.
- The salary/wage range for this position begins at: $58,980
- Complete an online application at www.hawkeyecollege.edu/employment
- Submit/upload a cover letter addressing the following:
- Describe a situation where you compiled or utilized data to make a strategic decision. How did you ensure the data was accurate and the outcome effective?
- How do you prioritize and manage your workload, especially when faced with tight deadlines or competing priorities?
- What is your level of comfort with technology and software applications, particularly those related to process mapping, data management and Learning Management Systems (LMS)?
- How do you stay updated with the latest industry trends and technologies and how have you applied this knowledge in a profession setting?
- Submit/upload a resume.
- Submit/upload 3 professional references with a minimum of 1 being from a current/past supervisor.
- Submit/upload a cover letter addressing the following:
- Priority screening is set to begin on Monday, March 4, 2024. Completed applications, along with the required materials, received after the priority screening date will be considered at the discretion of the college.
Hawkeye Community College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, committed to equity and diversity in its educational services and employment practices: https://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/about/diversity-inclusion/equal-opportunity. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex; race; age; color; creed; national origin; religion; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity; genetic information; or actual or potential parental, family, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices. Veteran status is also included to the extent covered by law. Any person alleging a violation of equity regulations shall have the right to file a formal complaint. Inquiries concerning application of this statement should be addressed to: Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator for employees, 319-296-4405; or Title IX Coordinator for students, 319-296-4448; Hawkeye Community College, 1501 East Orange Road, P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015; or email equity-titleIX@hawkeyecollege.edu, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576, email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov.
If any applicant is in need of a reasonable accommodation in completing the application process, please notify a member of Human Resource Services.
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting