Assistant Information Technology Specialist
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Director of IT Desktop Services for implementation and first level support of end-user and lab hardware, operating systems, and application software, including system utilities and auxiliary software products and multimedia displays used by the end users. This is a full-time (12 month) position.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide the first level technical support and problem-solving expertise on campus computing and communications device issues for faculty, staff, students and the computer lab environments. Serves as the primary staff member responsible for answering the Techline phone. Troubleshoots problems in order of priority and timeliness. Interacts with internal specialist(s) and searches various technical resources such as manuals, vendor web sites, and technical discussion forums to locate information required to accurately solve problems. (40%)
- Install, setup, and configure all hardware, operating system and application software for client computing devices and other personal computing hardware in both the Apple and PC environments for college-owned computers on campus. (20%)
- Perform repairs on college-owned PC and Apple hardware and multimedia equipment as appropriate. (10%)
- Based on the problems coming through the Techline, make recommendations on training, processes, procedures, and communications to improve the customer computing experience and to reduce the number of incoming calls to the Techline. (5%)
- Serve as the resident expert on the Techline support tools, including computer imaging and the ticketing system as well as a good working knowledge of network access control, print management, the VoIP telephone system and other administrative support tools. (10%)
- Enter appropriate data into the call tracking and inventory databases in a timely manner. Ensure that new equipment in added in a timely manner before deployment and that retired equipment is removed from the active list. (5%)
- Maintains a current knowledge of the rapidly changing end-user computing environment through reading trade journals and attending educational sessions. Shares technical knowledge with others on the staff. (5%)
- Act in a customer-focused manner. Provide service to clients that meet or exceed expectations. Continually evaluate processes, looking for ways to eliminate nonessential tasks or improve quality. Contribute positively to the team by performing daily work in a professional manner and treating co-workers as clients. Make decisions that increase customer satisfaction. (5%)
Definite objectives are set up for the employee by the supervisor, requiring the use of a wide range of procedures. The employee plans and arranges her/his own work and refers only unusual cases to the supervisor.
- Requires an Associate's degree or equivalent in a computer technology or related field. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least one year of end user technical support, providing customer service, and client device support experience in a large or enterprise environment; and demonstrated excellence in communication required. Student experience will be considered.
- Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills in order to solve technical problems and to understand the needs and problems of the clients.
- Requires excellent interpersonal relation skills in order to consult effectively with faculty, staff and students.
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: email@example.com. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Type of Employment: Full-Time