Function of Position:
The cook is responsible to supervisors and management staff for preparing food in the kitchen and in front of customers, recording food use data, cleaning equipment and work areas, and working with student staff. Cooks work as a team to accomplish their tasks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Prepare food for board plan dining, special diets, catering, and retail areas, utilizing information from rotating menus, service records, distribution summaries, recipes, sales order, and as verbally instructed by supervisors. Use proper temperature measurement and tasting methods to maintain quality standards, and seek direction or assistance if recipe adjustment is needed. (55%)
2) Set up, operate, use, disassemble, clean and sanitize food service equipment and work areas. Wash and sanitize pans and other dishes.(15%)
3) Accurately complete service records recording all items used, record run out times, gather recipe yields, recommend recipe improvements, help develop new recipes, and insure food quality.(8%)
4) Cook in front of guests, plate food, serve, engage with guests and colleagues, and provide quality customer service. (9%)
5) Ensure sanitary food production, storage and handling techniques. Label and date, and package food to be sold or issued, and unused ingredients and food items. Monitor food quality and assist with proper FIFO (first in first out) inventory usage. Check and record refrigeration temperatures. (5%)
6) Welcome, orient, train, and supervise student employees.(4%)
7) Receive and put away food. Compost and recycle. Sweep and mop floors.(4%)
8) Perform other related duties as assigned.
Definite objectives are set up for the employee by the supervisor, requiring the use of a wide range of procedures. Supervisors and managers are available to answer questions, but employee must be able to work on own once trained.
Requires 9 months effective experience, basic math, use of a calculator and scale, ability to read and follow both written and verbal directions, communication and good customer service skills, ability to lift 50 lbs. and to work effectively with students, faculty and staff. Working with others in a collaborative manner is an essential function of this position.
Position requires standing and moving except when on break. Lifting up to 50 lbs., pinching, hand/wrist position and endurance are moderate requirements of the position. Good vision is needed to read recipes and prepare food. It can get hot when working with some equipment, and there is need to go into refrigerators and freezers. It can get noisy in the work environment due to equipment, ventilation fans, garbage disposals, and other people working in same area; work pace is determined by business activity level, equipment used and deadlines.
Send a letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, resume, and contact information for three references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting