Director of Campus Safety and Security
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Vice President for Student Life for planning, managing and maintaining security, safety, and parking programs for the college. Collaborates with other vice presidents, directors, and off campus authorities i.e., law enforcement, emergency management, and fire fighting and prevention authorities in an effort to create and maintain a safe living and learning environment for students, faculty, staff, visitors and other users of Wartburg College.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establishes and maintains the college safety and security programs, with goal of compliance with applicable laws and regulations, such as, but not limited to, Clery Act, Higher Education Act amendments, EPA regulations, OSHA regulations and other state and federal regulations and laws relating to a higher education environment. (30%)
- Develops and maintains 24-hour security surveillance, response and service program, utilizing full- and part-time employees. Reviews incident reports and daily activity logs for accuracy and follow up. Coordinates and establishes security plans for special events. Selects, trains, mentors, and evaluates employees. (30%)
- Manages college parking program; assigns parking assignments and administers and directs the parking enforcement program. (15%)
- Principle investigator of sexual assault complaints and other serious crimes or violations. (10%)
- Manages budgets for security, parking, and safety. (5%)
- Coordinates with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies, as well as other emergency services on legal, safety and related areas. (3%)
- Serves as emergency management coordinator for the college’s emergency management plan. Updates plan as required. (2%)
- Represents the college at various professional associations, including IACLEA. (2%)
- Chairs the college’s safety committee. (1%)
- Maintains the college exposure control plan in cooperation with other departments. (1%)
- Works in concert with the Physical Plant regarding the student driver’s testing program. (1%)
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Student Life.
Incumbent receives general guidance from the Vice President of Student Life, but works independently; relying on laws, regulations, and polices for guidance.
Seeking candidates with relevant experience in areas such as campus safety, military, emergency management, law enforcement, etc. At least three years of management/leadership experience in higher education security, law enforcement, public safety or relevant field is required. Experience with investigations is critical. We seek candidates who will actively contribute to Wartburg’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, including ensuring a culturally competent staff of campus safety and security officers. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins May 17, 2021 and continues until position is filled.
Type of Employment: Full-Time