Deputy Director, Campus Security
Function of Position:
Works with and assists the Director of Campus Security & Safety (Director) planning, managing, and maintaining security, and parking programs for the college. Consults and collaborates with other campus offices and off campus authorities i.e., law enforcement, emergency management, and firefighting and prevention authorities.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as Acting Director in the absence of the Director.
- Performs principal duties of security officer plus supervisory and administrative duties.
- Schedules and staffs all shifts and special events and manages parking program.
- Conducts investigations of criminal and safety related complaints.
- Authorized to contact parents or respond to their inquiries in accordance with department and college guidelines.
- Selects, trains, and supervises student security assistants.
- Contacts and coordinates with local law enforcement, emergency management and counterparts from other colleges and universities.
- Serves as incident commander during emergency operations until replaced by law enforcement or other governmental agencies. Assists the Director with updating the emergency management plan.
- Performs monthly checks of emergency phones and quarterly checks of duress alarms.
- Coordinates training for security officers.
- Collaborates with director with updating plans, procedures, and manuals.
- Serving on call, on alternating weekends throughout the academic year and alternating breaks when the college is closed and during the summer session.
- Escorts discharged staff, trespassers, and other unwelcome parties off the premises.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director.
Reports to the Director of Campus Security and Safety. Accountable to the staff in Student Life and Operations and Maintenance. Work proceeds independently, but under clear guidelines of the Security and Safety program.
Requires knowledge equivalent to a high school education with effective experience; must possess a valid driver’s license and have no criminal record. Demonstrate acceptable ability to use relevant equipment including computers, two-way radios, First Aid equipment. Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel. Must always be accessible for phone communication. Ability to learn the layout of the campus, property, and buildings. Associate degree preferred.
- Ability to maintain a professional and respectful demeanor with the public that fosters good relations.
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion. Demonstrated ability to maintain student confidence and protect operational integrity.
- Possess excellent critical thinking and decision-making skills and maintain emotional control under high stress situations.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and members of the public.
- Effective oral and written communication skills which support the ability to submit accurate documentation and effectively communicate with people from various and diverse backgrounds.
- Be of good moral character, with no felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions.
- Demonstrated ability to work flexible hours including evening, overnight and weekend hours. Responsible for being on-call, working odd shifts, possible weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to patrol the campus, property and buildings and access areas quickly.
Application Procedure: Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: email@example.com. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
WARTBURG COLLEGE is a selective liberal arts college of the ELCA, nationally recognized for community engagement. As an affirmative action equal opportunity institution, Wartburg College actively seeks applications from members of underrepresented ethnic and minority groups
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting