Executive Director of Institutional Advancement
Executive Director of institutional AdvancementReports To: Hawkeye Community College Foundation Board and President of Hawkeye Community College
Do you excel in effectively communicating with people and also have a passion for building community relationships? Do you desire to be part of a leadership team that has a mission and vision to impact students as well as businesses and the community around you? If so, Hawkeye Community College has a great opportunity for you.
Hawkeye Community College is looking for an Executive Director of Institutional Advancement to join their team. This position is responsible for planning and executing a comprehensive advancement program in support of the College’s mission as well as oversees the planning and execution of capital development programs. Additionally, the Executive Director of Institutional Advancement assures that gifts are administered to honor the donors’ intent, investment policies, scholarship criteria, foundation by-laws, audit requirements, tax requirements, state requirements for charitable organizations, and college policies. Furthermore, this position serves as member of the President’s Cabinet and Hawkeye Community College Foundation, as well as performs special projects for the President of the College.
Hawkeye Community College is a comprehensive community college focused on meeting the needs of the community by providing quality, affordable learning experiences for a diverse student body through our Adult Learning Center, Business and Community Education Department as well as through more than 50 career and technical programs and liberal arts transfer programs. Hawkeye Community College’s mission is about empowering students, strengthening businesses and enriching communities with a vision to improve the quality of life in the communities we serve. Today, Hawkeye Community College service more than 25,000 individuals and awards almost 1,500 diplomas and degrees annually. Hawkeye has a community impact of $106 million and 1,400 jobs. Since 1966, the college has graduated more than 50,000 students, with 94 percent staying in Iowa.
Hawkeye Is located in the Cedar Valley, just south of Waterloo, Iowa. The growing cities of Waterloo and Cedar Falls, Iowa offer diverse cultural experiences and all the amenities of a big city with a small-town feel. There is always something to do, whether you want to attend a sporting event, go shopping, or go to a local restaurant. For additional information about Hawkeye Community College and the area surrounding campus, visit our website: Hawkeye Community College
Essential Job Functions
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Cultivates and solicits donors and prospective donors through prospect research, personal contacts, relationship building efforts, and events.
- Communicates the Foundation’s mission and plans to donors, potential donors, Hawkeye Community College Foundation Board members, faculty/staff, students, alumni and friends of Hawkeye Community College.
- Develops, recommends, and administers the annual Foundation budget.
- Assures that gifts are administered to honor the donors’ intent, investment policies, scholarship criteria, foundation by-laws, audit requirements, tax requirements, state requirements for charitable organizations, and college policies.
- Remains current on fundraising trends, ethics, laws, community fundraising events, national programs and fundraising activities with community colleges within Iowa.
- Advises the President and Administrative Cabinet in matters affecting fundraising.
- Directs and administers the overall planning and activities of the Hawkeye Community College Foundation including annual, major and targeted campaigns, special events, and projects.
- Manages Foundation records and historical data.
- Supports the College in its efforts to acquire specific resources (i.e., special fundraising).
- Manages comprehensive records for Foundation reporting including state and federal reports, audits, standard operating procedures, legal agreements, 501(c)(3) procedures, income tax and sales tax reports, and investment guidelines.
- Prepares reports for the President and Cabinet, Foundation Board, Board of Trustees, and local, state, and federal agencies.
- Assists in identifying and recruiting potential members to the Foundation Board.
- Supervises staff responsible for grant writing and management and alumni relations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the President and the Foundation Board.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of four (4) years successful fundraising experience for a nonprofit organization.
- Significant record of progressive fundraising experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Understanding of various gift instruments, estate planning, trust administration, gift planning strategies, and related tax laws.
- Proven ability to develop and implement fundraising special events and projects.
- Evidenced competence in budget planning and management.
- Established ability to lead, manage, coordinate and supervise staff, and a broad and diverse range of activities and people.
- Demonstrated ability to directly solicit funds from individuals.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the comprehensive community college philosophy.
- Demonstrated computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google programs.
- Demonstrated public relations and marketing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain policies and practices.
- Tolerance for differing points of view, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through inclusive behaviors and helping contribute to a culture of inclusivity, and a vibrant, diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environment.
- Master’s degree in philanthropy, non-profit development, education, business, marketing, or related field.
- Experience in a higher education institution.
- CFRE (Certified Fundraising Executive) or CFRM (Certified Fundraising Management) credential
- Experience with fund development software (Results Plus, FundEZ, Almabase software preferred).
Anticipated schedule is Monday through Friday with flexible hours including nights and weekends.
Requires skills for succeeding in an office environment, using technology. Requires good hand-eye coordination including visual acuity to use a keyboard and read technical information; arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp. Work is performed in an office setting. Sit, stand, bend, lift and move intermittently during working hours. During course of day, interact with students, faculty and staff in person, by telephone and computer.
Full time, exempt position with comprehensive benefits program including health, dental, vision, life, and LTD insurance, a Section 125 plan for medical and dependent care expenses; holiday, personal, sick, and vacation leave; tuition reimbursement; and a choice of retirement programs—IPERS (defined benefit) or TIAA (defined contribution).
Salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience.
- Complete an online application at www.hawkeyecollege.edu/employment/2028 along with the following required materials:
- Submit/upload a cover letter.
- Submit/upload a resume.
- Submit/upload 3 references with a minimum of 1 being from a current/past supervisor.
- Candidates invited as finalists in the process will be asked to send official transcripts and undergo a reference check.
- Employment is contingent on successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Submit the online application and all required materials by Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Preference will be given to candidates who submit the required materials on or before July 10th. This position will remain open until filled.
If any applicant is in need of a reasonable accommodation in completing the application process, please notify a member of Human Resource Services.
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting