SIS SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
The SIS Systems Administrator is a member of the Communications and Information Systems Department (CIS). The CIS department maintains the College database systems and integrations with other systems. This position will install, configure, and maintain the student information system, server operating systems, physical and virtual servers, web applications and web sites, and system integrations. Additionally, this position performs system monitoring and verifies the integrity and availability of hardware, network, and server resources and systems. This position will also review system and application logs and verify completion of scheduled jobs, including system backups. Furthermore, the SIS Systems Administrator will analyze network and server resource consumption and control user access, install and upgrade software and maintain software licenses as well as assist in network modeling, analysis, planning, and coordination between network and data communications hardware and software.
Essential Job Functions
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Configure, monitor, and maintain software applications.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Confer with users about how to solve existing system problems.
- Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Perform routine system startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Gather data pertaining to customer needs, and use the information to identify, predict, interpret, and evaluate system requirements.
- Executes test plans and documents the results.
- Writes user manuals to describe installation and operating procedures.
- Complies with logical and physical security policies, processes, and practices; recognizes non-compliance and notifies appropriate individuals.
- Works extended hours such as early morning, evenings/nights and/or weekends as necessary at critical times and for system upgrades, or to provide technical staff coverage for essential services outside of traditional business hours.
- Actively participates in cross-training functions as both teacher and student.
- Participates in projects and provides updates in Monday.com
- Maintains the integrity of SIS system data.
- Installs SIS updates in the test environments and the production environment during standard change windows.
- Coordinates the Server OS updates on all SIS systems with the CIS Systems Administrator.
- Monitors the SIS Background Processor, EDX queue, Garbage Collection, WorkFlow Background Processor and SIS system processing.
- Maintains the SIS printing subsystem.
- Updates and maintains the Ellucian Portal built on Sharepoint.
- Creates and updates support cases with the software vendor.
- Provides assistance and backup for other members of CIS Enterprise Applications team when necessary.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in a related field and two years of relevant work experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience to total 4 years.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with Ellucian Products.
- Experience in post-secondary education environment.
- Previous Student Information Systems Administration experience.
- Microsoft Server Operating System certification(s)
- Basic skills in the use of Microsoft SQL Server administration and maintenance
- Experience with SharePoint
Full time, exempt position with comprehensive or competitive benefits program including health, dental, vision, life, and LTD insurance, a Section 125 plan for medical and dependent care expenses; holiday, personal, sick, and vacation leave; tuition reimbursement; and a choice of retirement programs—IPERS (defined benefit) or TIAA (defined contribution).
Requires skills for succeeding in an office environment, using technology. Requires good hand-eye coordination including visual acuity to use a keyboard and read technical information; arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp. Work is performed in an office setting. Sit, stand, bend, lift and move intermittently during working hours. During course of day, interact with student, faculty and staff in person, by telephone and computers.
- Complete online application at www.hawkeyecollege.edu/employment including a resume, 3 references with a minimum of 1 being a current/past supervisor and a cover letter addressing the following:
- Describe your experience troubleshooting and resolving hardware, software and other network/system problems.
- Describe your experience with various computer software. Please be detailed and specific regarding the software you have used.
- Describe responsibilities you have had in meeting deadlines, developing and scheduling multiple projects, record keeping, and organizing your work as it would relate to the responsibilities of this position.
- Submit online application and all required materials by the deadline.
Hawkeye Community College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, committed to equity and diversity in its educational services and employment practices: https://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/about/diversity-inclusion/equal-opportunity. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex; race; age; color; creed; national origin; religion; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity; genetic information; or actual or potential parental, family, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices. Veteran status is also included to the extent covered by law. Any person alleging a violation of equity regulations shall have the right to file a formal complaint. Inquiries concerning application of this statement should be addressed to: Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator for employees, 319-296-4405; or Title IX Coordinator for students, 319-296-4448; Hawkeye Community College, 1501 East Orange Road, P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015; or email equity-titleIX@hawkeyecollege.edu, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576, email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov.
If any applicant is in need of a reasonable accommodation in completing the application process, please notify a member of Human Resource Services.
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting