High School Completion Instructor (PEER Team)
High School Completion Instructor
Workforce Training and Community Development
Workforce Training and Community Development
Reports To: Director, Workforce Training and Community Development
Job SummaryAre you passionate about making an impact and empowering others with life changing opportunities? Is it your time to help be the difference? If so, Hawkeye Community College has a great opportunity for you!
Hawkeye Community College’s Workforce Training and Community Development division is looking for a High School Completion Instructor to join the Pathways to Education and Employment for Reentry (PEER) team. While working with PEER, you are helping make a transformational impact on the everyday lives of our students and community. You will work with students to help prevent recidivism by empowering individuals to get the education and skills they need to thrive at work, school, home and in their community all while earning their high school equivalency diploma.
The full time High School Completion Instructor provides adult education and literacy training in a community reentry setting. This position is responsible for planning and delivering whole group instruction in the areas of math, reading, grammar, etc. to help students develop skills and to prepare them to take an exam in order to earn their High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED). Primary instruction will be given to individuals who are incarcerated, living in residential housing, or other community corrections setting who are studying in the Adult Basic Education (ABE) program at Hawkeye Community College. Therefore, classroom instruction may take place in the Waterloo Men’s Facility, Waterloo Women’s Center for Change, and/or the Black Hawk County Jail.
Hawkeye Community College is a comprehensive community college focused on meeting the needs of the community by providing quality, affordable learning experiences for a diverse student body through our Adult Learning Center, Business and Community Education Department as well as through more than 50 career and technical programs and liberal arts transfer programs. Hawkeye Community College’s mission is about empowering students, strengthening businesses and enriching communities with a vision to improve the quality of life in the communities we serve.
Essential Job FunctionsImportant responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Teaches classes to adults, as assigned, within a correctional setting.
- Teaches students math concepts and the essential components of reading.
- Teaches face-to-face classes with some online components, where appropriate.
- Tailors standards-based lesson plans, activities, assignments, and assessments to student skill levels.
- Utilizes classroom technology and integrates digital literacy into lessons, where appropriate.
- Maintains and documents student progression
- Maintains integrity of assessments.
- Identifies areas of student need and differentiate instruction.
- Prepares students for postsecondary education and training, employment, and better employment.
- Motivates students and apply retention strategies.
- Learns and applies new strategies, methods, and initiatives.
- Collaborates with other content area teachers for student success.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or teaching.
- Must be able to successfully pass an Iowa judicial system background check.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations (faculty, staff, students, and general public) in a professional and personable manner.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service, maintain student confidence and protect operational integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to complete multiple tasks with frequent interruptions and high volume of work with deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students who have widely varying instructional levels and reading abilities. Demonstrated ability to explain and review elementary through high school level topics in science, social studies, reading, Literacy and/or math.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and professionally both in writing and in speaking.
- Demonstrated strong computer skills and incorporate classroom technology and utilize Google Suite.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through inclusive behaviors and helping contribute to a culture of inclusivity, and a vibrant, diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environment.
- Most possess a valid driver’s license.
- K-12 Teaching certification or ability to obtain.
- Degree, certification, or endorsement in Social Studies, Science, Reading, Literacy, or Math.
- 1 year of teaching experience in Social Studies, Science, Remedial Reading and Math.
Working ConditionsAnticipated hours are approximately 10am – 6:30pm and can change depending on classroom availability, overall structure of the program etc.
Requires skills for succeeding in a classroom with strong conflict resolution skills. Requires a desire to primarily instruct individuals who are incarcerated, living in residential housing, or other community corrections setting within Black Hawk County. Requires skills for succeeding in an office environment, using technology. Work is performed in a classroom and an office setting over a 12-month employment period. Work schedule is determined in partnership with our corrections partners. Sit, stand, bend, lift, and move intermittently during working hours. During course of day, interact with student, faculty and staff in person, by telephone and computers.
Full time position with comprehensive or competitive benefits program including health, dental, vision, life, and LTD insurance, a Section 125 plan for medical and dependent care expenses; holiday, personal, sick, and vacation leave; tuition reimbursement and a choice of retirement programs—IPERS (defined benefit) or TIAA (defined contribution).
- Complete online application at www.hawkeyecollege.edu/employment
- Submit/Upload a resume.
- Submit/Upload 3 references with a minimum of 1 being a current/past supervisor.
- Submit/Upload a cover letter addressing the following:
- Describe your knowledge of and experience in teaching the subject of Math.
- Describe your knowledge of rehabilitation and the impact education can have on preventing recidivism.
- Describe your desire to teach with a particular emphasis on your ability to instruct a diverse student population.
- Submit online application and all required materials by Thursday, April 21, 2022. Preference will be given to applicants who submit the required materials on or before April 21st. This position will remain open until filled.
Hawkeye Community College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, committed to equity and diversity in its educational services and employment practices: https://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/about/diversity-inclusion/equal-opportunity. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex; race; age; color; creed; national origin; religion; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity; genetic information; or actual or potential parental, family, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices. Veteran status is also included to the extent covered by law. Any person alleging a violation of equity regulations shall have the right to file a formal complaint. Inquiries concerning application of this statement should be addressed to: Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator for employees, 319-296-4405; or Title IX Coordinator for students, 319-296-4448; Hawkeye Community College, 1501 East Orange Road, P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015; or email equity-titleIX@hawkeyecollege.edu, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576, email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov.
If any applicant is in need of a reasonable accommodation in completing the application process, please notify a member of Human Resource Services.
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting