HEAD COACH, ESPORTS (PART-TIME)
Hawkeye Community College is seeking a head coach to lead its championship caliber Esports program in its fourth year. The program consists of five game offerings including League of Legends, Overwatch, Rocket League, Rainbow Six Siege, and Super Smash Bros; which compete within the NJCAAE and other tournaments throughout the year.
This position provides supervision and coaching for the Esports program and all game offerings it encompasses. Recruits student-athletes, directs and manages practices, coordinates competitions and game day operations, organizes potential travel schedules, and supervises team conduct during competition, travel, tournaments, practices, and other events where the Esports team is represented. Fosters a positive team atmosphere and supports student athletes’ academic progress, retention, and graduation, through mentoring activities and referral to appropriate support services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Facilitates all facets of practices and competitions.
- Recruits students and maintains specific roster sizes for the program.
- Coordinates competitions and game day operations.
- Collaborates with the Offices of Admissions and Student Services for recruiting and enrolling prospective student-athletes from point of inquiry through registration.
- Monitors, assists, and nurtures student-athletes’ academic progress at the college and assists with placement at four-year colleges and universities.
- Assists in the marketing and promotion of the program.
- Provides first aid in emergency situations and completes required blood borne pathogen training and CPR certification.
- Enforces all safety policies and procedures.
- Performs set-up, tear-down, and storage of equipment.
- Supervises assistant coaches.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years’ experience coaching and/or competing in Esports
- Knowledge and experience of ESports games such as League of Legends, Overwatch, Rocket League, Rainbow Six Siege, Super Smash Bros, or similar games.
- Ability to work with diverse populations including faculty, staff, students, and community members.
- Valid driver’s license that is insurable by the College.
- CPR/First Aid certification required or ability to obtain.
- One-year experience in recruiting student-athletes.
- One-year experience working with college age athletes.
- One-year experience in events coordination.
- One-year experience with applicable rules and regulations of the governing body, i.e. NJCAAE
Part-time position. Anticipated hours will be flexible up to 29 hours per week including afternoon, evening, and weekends. This position offers a choice of retirement programs—IPERS (defined benefit) or TIAA (defined contribution).
- Complete online application at www.hawkeyecollege.edu/employment including a resume, 3 references and a cover letter that briefly addresses:
- Demonstrated experience coach and/or competing in Esports at the Collegiate level.
- Demonstrated experience with recruiting student-athletes.
- Factors relevant to a positive student-athlete experience.
- Submit online application and all required materials by the deadline.
Work is performed in an office and athletic setting. Sit, stand, bend, lift and move intermittently during working hours. During course of day, interact with student, faculty and staff in person, by telephone and computers.
Hawkeye Community College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, committed to equity and diversity in its educational services and employment practices: https://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/about/diversity-inclusion/equal-opportunity. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex; race; age; color; creed; national origin; religion; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity; genetic information; or actual or potential parental, family, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices. Veteran status is also included to the extent covered by law. Any person alleging a violation of equity regulations shall have the right to file a formal complaint. Inquiries concerning application of this statement should be addressed to: Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator for employees, 319-296-4405; or Title IX Coordinator for students, 319-296-4448; Hawkeye Community College, 1501 East Orange Road, P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015; or email equity-titleIX@hawkeyecollege.edu, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576, email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov.
If any applicant is in need of a reasonable accommodation in completing the application process, please notify a member of Human Resource Services.
Type of Employment: Part-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting