Project Superintendent - Commercial Construction
Summary and Overall Objectives of the Position
The Project Superintendent’s responsibility is to profitably supervise the field construction of a project and to complete the work safely, on schedule, within budget, and to the quality of workmanship specified. The Project Superintendent is a leader in creating a positive environment on the jobsite to foster continuous learning and improvement. The Project Superintendent is also responsible for assisting field team members in their continued development through mentoring and on-the-job teaching and training.
- Arrive on time to assigned jobsite
- Manage the day-to-day field activities of a jobsite to ensure project milestone dates and overall schedule is met. Schedule labor, equipment, subcontractors, and materials accordingly
- Create daily reports to document jobsite conditions (weather, work performed, subcontractors on site, jobsite visitors, etc.).
- Communicate regularly via phone, email, and in-person with all project team members (both internal and external) regarding materials, site needs, RFI’s, ASI’s, Submittals, etc.
- Read and discern project documents including blueprints and communicate pertinent information to field team members.
- Take part in scheduled project/ jobsite meetings
- Delegate tasks to Cardinal Construction field staff team members, based upon their skills and experience. Demonstrate tasks when necessary.
- Coordinate the work of multiple subcontractors on jobsite. Verify work is completed per contract scope and to specification.
- Manage resources, tools, and equipment on assigned jobsite
- Maintain a clean and organized jobsite
- Maintain and comply with federal and state laws, and company safety policies, procedures, and standards
- Coordinate required inspections in conjunction with Project Manager
- Identify and complete punch list items in a timely manner
- Maintain records for as-built drawings
- Utilize HH2 Remote Payroll to record employee time for weekly payroll
- Deliver appropriate disciplinary measures when appropriate, per company policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Individuals in this role must be able to:
- Demonstrate company core values of Positivity, Integrity, Teamwork, Continuous Improvement, and Personal Accountability
- Provide direction and resolve issues and/or disputes among all project stakeholders
- Identify incomplete or incorrect work in place
- Utilize a computer and/or cellphone for communications
- Have advanced knowledge of and skill in blueprint reading
- Maintain the confidentiality of information that may be imparted by employees and clients
- Consistently show ability to prioritize tasks and responsibilities independently
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Individuals in this position will work indoors and outdoors in all types of adverse weather and perform a variety of physical labor activities. He or she must have physical stamina sufficient to perform construction-related activities including, but not limited to lifting and carrying a minimum of fifty (50) pounds; repeated pounding, standing, bending, stooping, climbing in and around equipment, and up and down ladders throughout daily work shifts. He or she must be able to work at a minimum of two stories height on a structure or powered lift.
Position Type and Expected Hours or Work
This position is full-time. The expected number of hours worked each week is forty (40) hours, however, overtime hours may be required on occasion. Typical work hours are Monday thru Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. However, our work hours are driven by client/owner needs, scheduling, and location demands, and individuals in this position may be required to start earlier, stay later, or on weekend days to meet those needs.
Minimal travel is expected for this position, however, may be necessary depending on jobsite locations. Travel by motor vehicle to jobsites is required. Any travel will take place primarily in the state of Iowa and will typically involve same day travel only. Overnight travel will be infrequent.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum of three (3) years’ commercial construction supervision experience on projects with a construction budget of $1 million or higher.
- OSHA 30 Hour Certification.
- CPR/AED/First Aid Certification.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor or Associate degree from an accredited college or university in construction management or related field.
- Additional management skills training.
- Experience utilizing HH2 Remote Payroll.
A valid driver’s license is required for this position.
Cardinal Construction, Inc. is strongly committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business. It is our objective to obtain individuals who are qualified or qualifiable for positions of employment by job-related standards of education, training, experience and performance and to avoid the establishment of artificial barriers to employment or promotion.
Therefore, we follow the law and do not discriminate against employees or applicants based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic testing information, creed, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and childbirth and/or related medical conditions, military service or any other traits or classifications protected by federal, state or local laws.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Cardinal Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment screening and physical. We offer an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to:
- Healthcare Plan
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Plan
- 401k Plan
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Paid Training
- Quarterly Staff Social Events
Cardinal Construction was founded in 1895. We are an employee-owned company, dedicated to creating a positive experience for our Clients through integrity, service and exceptional workmanship. We treat all members of our team fairly and are committed to continuous improvement at all levels.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to:
Angie Joerger, Human Resource Manager
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting