Project Estimator - Commercial Construction
Summary and Overall Objectives of the Position
The Estimator is responsible for preparing and assisting in the preparation of estimates to obtain projects, and throughout all project phases as needed. Estimator prepares bid schedules to determine project costs, and reviews final estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to formal quotation. This position reports to the Director of Estimating.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Supports project team(s) throughout the preconstruction process including budgeting, estimating, scheduling, and value analysis for all types of delivery methods.
- Works closely with design team during development to control project costs.
- Develop estimates based upon project documents, or field measurements established through project site visits.
- Develop formal proposals to present to clients.
- Attend pre-bid meetings as assigned.
- Assists marketing/business development team by providing cost opinion support as needed.
- Consults with clients, vendors, project team (internal and external) to discuss and formulate estimates.
- Reviews construction documents and understands scope of work to bid.
- Utilizes computer to prepare estimate take offs.
- Assists with the development of bid packages when applicable.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Demonstrate good judgment and reasoning when investigating and solving problems.
- Maintain the confidentiality of information that may be imparted by employees and clients.
- Seek guidance and direction in the performance of responsibilities and duties.
- Demonstrate ability to tactfully handle difficult situations.
- Consistently show ability to prioritize tasks and responsibilities independently.
- Utilize a computer and/or cellphone for communications.
This position is full-time. Typical work hours are Monday thru Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.. The expected number of hours worked each week is a minimum of forty (40) hours, or more as needed to complete required functions within deadline.
Travel by motor vehicle to pre-bid meetings, jobsites and client meetings is required. Any travel will take place primarily in the state of Iowa and will typically involve same day travel only. Overnight travel will be infrequent.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Construction Management, Construction Engineering.
Preferred Education and Experience
At least one (1) years of commercial construction estimating is preferred. Industry-specific certifications and/or training experience related to enhanced performance in estimation position. Experience utilizing SAGE (Timberline) estimating.
The individual in this position must:
- Demonstrate company core values of Positivity, Integrity, Teamwork, Continuous Improvement, and Personal Accountability.
Cardinal Construction, Inc. is strongly committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business. It is our objective to obtain individuals who are qualified or qualifiable for positions of employment by job-related standards of education, training, experience and performance and to avoid the establishment of artificial barriers to employment or promotion.
Therefore, we follow the law and do not discriminate against employees or applicants based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic testing information, creed, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and childbirth and/or related medical conditions, military service or any other traits or classifications protected by federal, state or local laws.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Cardinal Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment screening and physical. We offer an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to:
- Healthcare Plan
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Plan
- 401k Plan
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Paid Training
- Quarterly Staff Social Events
Cardinal Construction was founded in 1895. We are an employee-owned company, dedicated to creating a positive experience for our Clients through integrity, service and exceptional workmanship. We treat all members of our team fairly and are committed to continuous improvement at all levels.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to:
Angie Joerger, Human Resource Manager
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting