Financial Aid Specialist
REPORTS TO: Financial Aid Services Coordinator
This position is responsible for providing excellent customer service, maintains customer confidence and protects operational integrity by keeping information confidential, and provides support for a variety of special projects, committees, functions, and activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Welcomes guests and customers by greeting them in person or on the telephone or virtually, and by answering or directing inquiries.
- Ensures the office phone and email are operational and worked in a timely manner.
- Ensures the correct distribution of all incoming and outgoing mail.
- Enters data into computer via use of word processing, database, spreadsheet, and various other computer applications; and scans documents for appropriate processing.
- Assists with maintaining minutes of all staff meetings and retreats.
- Ability to be cross-trained to assist in answering other Student Support Services questions as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Conveys, interprets, and assists students with the FAFSA application for financial aid, financial aid requirements, and financial aid policies to staff, parents, prospective students, and the general public.
- Processes all incoming documents and aids with the completion of any financial aid form requested, including verification forms, third-party verification request, and returned mail.
- Provides timely follow-up communication on a weekly basis to students regarding any missing documentation or clarification that is needed as well as all student requests.
- Assists the Financial Aid Services Coordinator with training of student employees.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- One-year office experience and/or equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Must be highly proficient using all Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of recordkeeping principles and practices and ability to prepare records and reports.
- Demonstrates ability to work on multiple tasks and to work independently.
- Aptitude to analyze and improve office procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to understand and follow complex oral and written directions.
- Demonstrates ability to work with and provide customer service for diverse populations (faculty, staff, students, and general public).
- Project a positive professional image.
- Administrative writing skills, reporting skills, scheduling, Microsoft Office skills, organization, time management, office equipment maintenance, travel logistics, and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates ability to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings.
- Associate degree in Liberal Arts, Business, or related field.
- Knowledge of a financial aid or other higher education office setting.
Full time position with comprehensive or competitive benefits program including health, dental, vision, life, and LTD insurance, a Section 125 plan for medical and dependent care expenses; holiday, personal, sick, and vacation leave; and a choice of retirement programs—IPERS (defined benefit) or TIAA (defined contribution).
- Complete online application at www.hawkeyecollege.edu/employment including 3 references, a resume and a cover letter that briefly addresses:
- Describe your work experience with customer service and receptionist duties.
- List software you competently use and the types of professional documents you have produced (e.g., spreadsheets, PowerPoint, database).
- Describe your work experience related to handling confidential information.
- Describe any previous responsibilities you have had in meeting deadlines, developing and scheduling multiple projects, and organizing your work.
- Describe your knowledge of and/or experience with financial aid with emphasis on customer service.
- Submit online application and all required materials by the deadline.
Hawkeye Community College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, committed to equity and diversity in its educational services and employment practices: hawkeyecollege.edu/about/diversity-inclusion/equal-opportunity. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex; race; age; color; creed; national origin; religion; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity; genetic information; or actual or potential parental, family, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices. Veteran status is also included to the extent covered by law. Any person alleging a violation of equity regulations shall have the right to file a formal complaint. Inquiries concerning application of this statement should be addressed to: Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator for employees, 319-296-4405; or Title IX Coordinator for students, 319-296-4448; Hawkeye Community College, 1501 East Orange Road, P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015; or email equity-titleIX@hawkeyecollege.edu, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576, email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov.
If any applicant is in need of a reasonable accommodation in completing the application process, please notify a member of Human Resource Services.
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting