Administrative Assistant to the Student Life Vice President and Deans
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Vice President for Student Life and the Associate Deans for providing administrative support to the Student Life division while representing the division in a positive and professional manner. Maintains confidentiality as appropriate and manages sensitive information with care. Senior/lead administrative assistant for the Division and assists other clerical staff in the Division as needed. Works to foster collaborative partnerships with departments across the institution with the primary goal of cultivating a culture that embraces retention and student success as an institutional beacon and shared responsibility.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Office Management: (15%)
• Foster a welcoming and inclusive office environment that values diversity and
promotes a sense of belonging among all members of the community.
• Manage daily operations, including maintaining supplies, and office equipment.
• Serve as the primary point of contact in Student Life by managing incoming
communications, including phone calls, emails, and in-person inquiries.
• Explain College policies related to Student Life to students, parents, staff,
faculty, and the public.
Event Coordination: (25%)
• Assist in planning, organizing, and executing various student life events, programs, and activities including SOAR (Summer Orientation Advising, and Registration), Residence Life, Inclusive Committees and Career and Vocation related programs.
• Coordinate event logistics, such as reservations, scheduling, and logistics for venues and materials.
• Coordinate regional transportation programs during college breaks.
Data Management & Technology: (20%)
• Become proficient in Jenzabar, Handshake, and other systems used in Student Life.
• Maintain and update student databases, records, and files related to student organizations, and activities.
• Generate reports and compile data for assessments and evaluations.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams and Zoom)
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to and learn new software and technology platforms quickly.
Administrative Tasks: (10%)
• Assist with budget tracking, financial transactions, and procurement related to
student life initiatives.
• Provide clerical support by composing general communication, forms, and meeting
minutes; processing mail, and scheduling appointments/meetings/travel using computer-based
calendar system, maintains and updates the college calendar system with Student Life events,
assists in maintaining departmental budget.
• Assists with grant applications, implementation, budgets, and report writing.
Supervision of Student Employees: (20%)
• Co-supervise and mentor a team of student employees, including hiring, training,
scheduling, and performance evaluations in partnership with Student Life staff.
• Cross-train staff to ensure that they can answer basic questions related to all
areas within Student Life.
• Review and approve monthly timecards; hire and supervise student employees in
partnership with various staff members.
• Work closely with other departments and stakeholders to support campus-wide initiatives and promote a vibrant student life experience.
• Collaborate with the Student Life team on special projects and initiatives.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Definite objectives are set up in collaboration with the employee by the supervisor, requiring the
use of a wide range of procedures. The employee prioritizes own work and refers only unusual cases to the supervisor.
Requires education or life experience equivalent to an associate degree, proficiency in
Microsoft products, three years of office/clerical experience, excellent customer service,
outstanding organizational, typing, and proof- reading skills; and confidentiality guidelines.
Prefer experience in higher education, and successful work or volunteer experience with a
diverse population. An understanding and appreciation for the values and beliefs of others; treats
all guest and community members respectfully and appreciate the uniqueness of each member of
Please submit a detailed resume that highlights your relevant qualifications, skills, and work
experience. Additionally, provide a cover letter that introduces yourself, explains your interest
in the position and outlines how your background aligns with the job requirements. Additionally,
provide contact information for three references electronically to: email@example.com. See
www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and
continues until the position is filled.
WARTBURG COLLEGE is a selective liberal arts college of the ELCA, nationally recognized for
community engagement. As an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, Wartburg College
actively seeks applications from members of underrepresented ethnic and minority groups.
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting