Administrative Assistant 1
Reports To: Director of Library Services
Are you passionate about making an impact and empowering others with life changing opportunities? Is it your time to help be the difference? If so, Hawkeye Community College has a great opportunity for you!
The Hawkeye Community College Library is looking for a fulltime Administrative Assistant to join their team. This position provides support to the Library department and manages all processes associated with the circulation of library resources and reading room services while also providing excellent customer service to students, staff, faculty, and the general public. Additionally, the Administrative Assistant maintains customer confidence and protects operational integrity by keeping information confidential and providing support for a variety of special projects, committees, functions, and activities.
Hawkeye Community College is a comprehensive community college focused on meeting the needs of the community by providing quality, affordable learning experiences for a diverse student body. Hawkeye Community College’s mission is about empowering students, strengthening businesses and enriching communities with a vision to improve the quality of life in the communities we serve.
Essential Job Functions
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serves as the first point of service for library patrons, welcomes individuals by greeting them in person, by telephone, or online and by answering or directing inquiries.
- Assists and maintains supervisor’s appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings.
- Prepares reports by collecting and analyzing information.
- Prepares and completes College, federal and state government records, reports, and surveys.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, compiling and transmitting text, data, and graphics.
- Ensures operation of office equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; arranging for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Oversees correct distribution and disposition of notices, memoranda, directives, and other materials.
- Accurately processes requisitions, billing requests, purchase orders, print shop orders and maintenance work tickets.
- Reconciles receipts and cash; makes deposits in the Business Office.
- Maintains an inventory of departmental supplies and submits orders as needed.
- Prepares written responses to inquiries from staff and the general public for approval by the supervisor.
- Provides support for a variety of special projects, committees, functions, and departmental/campus activities.
- Supervises student employees and/or coordinates volunteers.
- Contributes to the team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
- Serves on College committees as assigned. Coordinates refreshments and materials for activities and meetings and oversees arranging room setup.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Position Specific Responsibilities
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides support to the Library Director, departmental staff and to other College personnel.
- Operates the integrated library system and other specialized library software.
- Completes all tasks for and oversees the circulation of library resources and the maintenance of an accurate patron database. Respects and upholds the principles of patron confidentiality.
- Issues overdue notices and billing letters and maintains accurate records in accordance with Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) guidelines.
- Manages and processes instructional reserve materials.
- Processes periodicals, books & other materials for circulation.
- Maintains, revises and follows the procedures and practices in the library’s procedural manuals.
- Provides general reference assistance by directing patrons to appropriate library resources and refers advanced questions to professional librarians.
- Oversees maintenance of the library stacks and reading room services. This may include light cleaning and shifting materials as needed.
- Serves as back-up for evening and weekend shifts, on rotation with other staff. Completes assigned tasks in interlibrary loan or materials processing, etc. as needed to cover for other staff absences.
- Creates promotional materials in print and digital formats; assists with posts on the Library’s social media accounts.
- Configures badge access and maintains door accessibility schedules utilizing assigned software.
- Associates degree and two years office experience or equivalent combination of education and experience to total 4 years.
- Minimum typing speed of 40 net words per minute.
- Demonstrated knowledge of recordkeeping principles and practices and ability to prepare records and reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to respect confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to respond quickly to deadlines and to perform and prioritize a multitude of tasks in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated aptitude to analyze and improve office procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and follow complex oral and written directions.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to work with staff, students, faculty, business and government officials, and the general public while projecting a positive professional image.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team atmosphere.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to emergency situations and exercise sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize administrative writing, verbal communication, reporting, scheduling, organization and time management skills, to effectively perform administrative support duties.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through inclusive behaviors and helping contribute to a culture of inclusivity, and a vibrant, diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environment.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Library work experience.
Anticipated work schedule is onsite at the Hawkeye Community College Main Campus: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Requires skills for succeeding in an office environment, using technology. Requires good hand-eye coordination including visual acuity to use a keyboard and read technical information; arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp. Work is performed in an office setting. Sit, stand, bend, lift and move intermittently during working hours. During the course of the day, interact with students, faculty, staff and the public in person, by telephone and computers.
Full time, hourly position with comprehensive or competitive benefits program including health, dental, vision, life, and LTD insurance, a Section 125 plan for medical and dependent care expenses; holiday, personal, sick, and vacation leave; tuition reimbursement and a choice of retirement programs—IPERS (defined benefit) or TIAA (defined contribution).
- Complete online application at www.hawkeyecollege.edu/employment
- Submit/Upload a resume.
- Submit/Upload 3 references with a minimum of 1 being a current/past supervisor.
- Submit/Upload a cover letter addressing the following:
- Describe the specific skills and experience that prepares you to perform the job responsibilities of this position.
- Detail the specific software you have a working knowledge of, be specific about the types of documents you have produced using these applications (e.g.: MS Word, Excel, Publisher, etc. Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.).
- Employment is contingent on successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Submit online application and all required materials by Sunday, July 24, 2022.
Hawkeye Community College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, committed to equity and diversity in its educational services and employment practices: https://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/about/diversity-inclusion/equal-opportunity. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex; race; age; color; creed; national origin; religion; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity; genetic information; or actual or potential parental, family, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices. Veteran status is also included to the extent covered by law. Any person alleging a violation of equity regulations shall have the right to file a formal complaint. Inquiries concerning application of this statement should be addressed to: Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator for employees, 319-296-4405; or Title IX Coordinator for students, 319-296-4448; Hawkeye Community College, 1501 East Orange Road, P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015; or email equity-titleIX@hawkeyecollege.edu, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312-730-1560, fax 312-730-1576, email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov.
If any applicant is in need of a reasonable accommodation in completing the application process, please notify a member of Human Resource Services.
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Premium Job Posting (contact for more information): Premium Job Posting